Wondering how to find bookkeeping clients? You’re certainly not alone! In California alone, there are over 186,000 bookkeepers!
Finding bookkeeping clients may seem tedious or challenging within this competitive space. However, with the right knowledge, it’s possible to find a plethora of the right bookkeeping clients for your practice. You’ll still need the right education and certifications to work as a bookkeeper, of course.
Keep reading to learn how to find bookkeeping clients like an expert.
How to Get Your First Bookkeeping Clients
Once you have the credentials and certifications to become a bookkeeper, the next step is finding clients. This may seem like an overwhelming task, but with some dedication and research, it can be done.
Here are some of the best tips for where to buy bookkeeping clients:
- Network Within Your Community – Reach out to local business owners within your community who might benefit from your services. You can attend networking events or join professional associations to connect with potential clients.
- Ask for Referrals – If you already have clients, ask them if they know anyone else who needs help with their bookkeeping tasks. Word-of-mouth referrals are often one of the most effective ways to find new customers.
- Use Social Media – Leverage the power of social media to find bookkeeping clients. Create a professional profile and post about the services you offer. You can also join online groups that specialize in topics related to accounting, like LinkedIn or Facebook Groups.
- Place Ads – If you have some extra budget to spend, consider placing ads in local newspapers or on digital platforms such as Google AdWords and Facebook Ads. This is a great way to reach potential customers who may not be reached through other channels.
- Offer Free Trials – Give your prospective clients an opportunity to try out your services with a free trial period. This will help them decide if they want to continue working with you without any commitment or risk involved.
How to Advertise a Bookkeeping Business
Getting your first bookkeeping clients can be one of the most intimidating parts of starting a bookkeeping business. You may be unsure of yourself and your skills, and you may feel overwhelmed at the prospect of finding clients. However, with a bit of knowledge, guidance, and planning, you can quickly find qualified clients who will be happy to pay for your services.
The first step in advertising to get bookkeeping clients is making sure you’re fully prepared to start and scale your bookkeeping business. Research the industry and familiarize yourself with the software you need, such as QuickBooks or Xero. Make sure you have a complete understanding of the bookkeeping process and can provide accurate and timely services to your clients.
The best way to get started is by asking family and friends if they know anyone who needs bookkeeping services. This is a form of free promotion that can help you land your first clients as a bookkeeper.
You may also consider joining local business networks or organizations, such as Rotary clubs or chambers of commerce, which could be a great way to meet potential clients. And if this doesn’t prove fruitful, you can also reach out to small businesses directly via phone or email and offer your services.
Once you’ve established yourself in the field, another great option for finding bookkeeping clients is online job boards like Upwork or Freelancer. Many companies are turning to these platforms to find freelancers for their projects, so creating an account on one of these sites can be a great way to find clients.
Advertising is also an important part of getting your bookkeeping business off the ground. Create flyers or postcards to promote your services in local businesses, community centers or libraries. You can also use online advertising platforms like Google Adwords and Facebook Ads to reach potential customers.
And let’s not forget about word-of-mouth marketing. Ask existing clients for referrals and offer incentives for new leads they bring you. Once you have established a few regular clients, ask them to write positive reviews on websites such as Yelp or Google My Business, which can help draw in more business.
Bookkeeping Clients FAQ
Is there a demand for bookkeepers?
Yes, there is definitely a demand for bookkeepers across almost every industry. There are plenty of opportunities out there to get your first bookkeeping clients. However, being properly trained with the right certifications and knowledge is essential to serve this demand.
How do I market myself as a bookkeeper?
To market yourself as a bookkeeper, you’ll need to get the word out about your services. You can do this by creating an online presence, setting up a website, and advertising your services on social media. You can also network with other business owners in your area to let them know you’re available.
Word-of-mouth referrals are also a great way to get your name out there and build up your client base. But you can also create marketing materials such as brochures, flyers, and business cards to hand out or post in public areas.
Is it hard to find bookkeeping clients?
Finding bookkeeping clients doesn’t have to be difficult. With the right strategies in place and a bit of persistence, you can find bookkeeping clients in no time. Start by networking with other business owners, attending local events and conferences, and joining industry associations to get your name out there.